Saturday, February 23, 2008

(Trying to) Hitchhike While Running

Last week I was running on our military base where we’re temporarily staying, and I happened to run by the building where Husband works. Coincidentally, he was leaving work around the same time I was running, and he drove right by me. He might have intended to embarrass me with his incessant honking and waving, but I was actually happy and encouraged to see it. I wasn’t having my best run, and I wanted so badly to stop running. When he drove up in his white car, it seemed like a golden chariot beside me - my ticket on wheels to take me home. I probably would have sold my soul to go home with him right then. In fact, when he rolled down his window, I actually shouted, only half-joking, “Take me home!” “What?” he said, unable to hear me. “Never mind. See you at home!” The run was tough. Had I shouted “take me home” a little louder (or maybe if Husband had slightly better hearing), the story might have ended with me sitting comfortably in the passenger seat, a little sweaty and a little defeated from the start of a tough run. But, instead, it ended with me running 3 more miles, finishing my 4-mile run, and arriving back on our doorstep. I was sweaty, exhausted, and discouraged. Husband gave me a hug, and I shed a few tears, starting a monologue of: “Why am I doing this?” “Am I nuts?” “Maybe I’m not cut out for this.” He then encouraged me, responding with: “Because you want a challenge.” “Probably, a little.” “Not true.” I immediately felt much better. So, I realized I didn’t need a chariot to pick me up because I had the encouragement of the chariot driver. And that was just the pick-me-up I needed!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Yay for good husbands! That's exactly what they should do. :)