Friday, February 22, 2008

"Spirit of the Marathon"

Husband and I went to see the “Sprit of the Marathon” movie last night at the theater. We made an evening out of it, and we ate a cute little Italian restaurant before the movie. Husband had a dish of garlic that might have had some pasta in it, and I had a bowl full of penne pasta with tomato sauce. (We randomly chose to eat Italian, but we realized later that we had “carbed up” much like the people in the movie!) The movie was incredible. It was inspiring, motivating, interesting, and honest. In case you haven’t heard about the movie, it’s a documentary that tracked six different runners who are training for a marathon. I especially liked that they picked a few “non-runners” (like me!) because I could relate to them the most. One, in particular, was a mom that had never really run before. The other was a man in his 60s! In one of the funny points of the movie, he says that the only runner’s high he’s ever had is when he stops running. (Glad I’m not the only one!) I won’t spoil any more, so I’ll just say that I loved the movie. Husband enjoyed it, too, and he has no aspirations of ever running a marathon. So, I think it appeals to runners and non-runners alike. If anything, it reaffirms that any goal is possible, despite how insurmountable it seems at first. I would tell everyone I know to rush out and see it, but, unfortunately, there were only two showings of the movie and last night was the last one. However, I’m sure it will come out on DVD, and if so, you’ll have to check it out then. In short, I laughed. I cried. I smelled the pungent odor of garlic (coming from Husband’s direction). I hope your “Spirit of the Marathon” experience will be as great as mine – minus the garlic. :)

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Personally, I like garlic. :)

Gretchen said...

I loved the movie too. I walked out of the theatre thinking how could anyone who just watched that NOT want to run a marathon. Then I remembered, oh, right, it's insane. It's hard to explain to people who don't automatically feel it but I thought the film did an excellent job of it from all points of view. I'd like to own it on DVD just so I can watch it again when I'm in need of inspiration.

Good luck with your marathon!

Stacy said...

Hi,
I saw your comment on my blog...as for your first marathon, here's my only bit of advice.
You can do it.
About 50% of it is mental, maybe more...It's all about deciding to do it and doing it.
You'll finish.
On your training runs, sometimes go just a little further than you'd planned, maybe to the post beyond where you thought you'd finish, not too much further, just a bit.
On marathon day, your mantra is "Stay strong." Write it on your wrist in black marker, so you can see it while you run.
Take your Gu every hour, drink a lot of water, and believe in yourself.
My second marathon was fun, it was hard, but it was also a joyful, happy experience. Weird but true.
Keep me posted!
Best to you,
Stacy