Tuesday, February 19, 2008

macaroni kids

I went to the grocery store today, and I sheepishly bought a case (yes, a case!) of Easy Mac.

I had been buying it just by the single box, which was easier to justify. One box seems harmless. An entire case seems excessive and borderline obsessive. (Not to mention probably unhealthy,
but I’m going to ignore that fact for now.)

I couldn’t pass up the case because it was on sale. And, sadly, I knew that we would eat it all. So, I took the coupon for $1 off, and put the case in the cart, hoping that no one would suspect that we’re closet macaroni (more specifically, instant macaroni) junkies.

But, I couldn’t escape from the store without an older man in front of me in line noticing my macaroni purchase of extreme proportions.

He said, “Wow, your kids must love macaroni!”

I admitted to him that my husband and I do not have kids, although we might actually qualify as kids ourselves.

He was right, though. A case of instant macaroni seems appropriate for a large – a very large – family with multiple kids. Or, perhaps for a dorm full of broke college students.

Instead, the entire case of cheesy dinners is just for my husband and me. I wish I could say that the saddest part of the tale. But, the worst part is that I actually bought a case last week, and it’s already almost gone!

2 comments:

Britni said...

I don't really like Mac and Cheese but I would probably buy a case of Velveeta Shells and Cheese if they went on sale. Good for you.

Leslie said...

My hubs and I love mac and cheese, but we hardly eat it anymore due to dietary concerns. :(