Friday, February 8, 2008

Learning through Lent

Lent just started on Wednesday, and I feel like I’m learning a lot already. I decided not to give up anything this Lent. Not because I can’t do it, but because it makes living with me that much more difficult. If you don’t believe me, ask Husband about the time I gave up sweets. He nearly died from the death glare I gave him when he ate a piece of chocolate cake in front of me, at my insisting. [It was a learning experience for both of us. Husband learned that a woman doesn’t always means what she says, especially if she can’t eat desserts and she says, “Please, go ahead and eat that piece of chocolate cake.” And I learned that I turn into a grump when I forgo all sweets for 40 days.] So, my goal this Lent is to read just a little bit of the Bible every night. I’ve been a Christian my whole life, yet I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve never really read the bible, except for excerpts here and there. Maybe I’ve never read it because it seems so important and intimidating. (And no surprise at why it’s intimidating, since it’s a hefty 1500+ page read!) Regardless, I started with just a page the first couple nights. And now I’m reading 3 or 4 pages a night because I want to - not because I feel like I have to. I’m learning that the bible is sometimes confusing, but always interesting and inspiring. I’m learning that working towards completing any large task seems intimidating at first. Just like my marathon training. It seemed so impossible at first (and still does sometimes), yet it starts with taking that first bold step. I’m learning that, sadly, I’ve constrained myself at times because of my own labels I’ve given myself. “I’m not a runner.” Or, “I’m not a bible reader.” And, “I’m a klutz.” (Ok, well I’m at least right on the last one.) I’m learning also that my Lent will be sweet, and not just because I can indulge in desserts. (Although, I’m secretly thankful that I can. And Husband is perhaps the most thankful of all.) This Lent I’ll be tackling goals I never thought I could, and I’ll be growing in the process. And that is just as sweet as the chocolate cake I’m suddenly craving…

4 comments:

Amy said...

The death glare, huh? :) The hairs on the back of Hubby's neck rose just as I read your post about giving up sweets. He still has no idea why. :)

Thia said...

That's great, to institute a habit instead of give something up! If things start dragging a few books into the OT, don't be afraid to switch it up a bit and read some psalms or provers.

everything pink! said...

i loved what you said about being overwhelmed by the size of the Bible - me too.
i love the thought of starting a new habit especially when it seems impossible. you are a runner, don't forget it.

Anonymous said...

great work, that is so encouraging!