Monday, June 23, 2008

A Speedy 5K

My neighbor and I went to base on Saturday to run a 5K. I was so fast on this one that I got pulled over by the cops. That’s not the punch line to a bad joke. I really did get pulled over by the cops. I drove onto base when, not more than two minutes later, red and blue flashing lights greeted me in my rearview mirror. I thought it was a misunderstanding because the speed limit was 30 mph, and clearly I was going less than that. But apparently, I was a dangerous menace to the entire military installation and to US national security by going “26 mph in a 15 mph zone.” I could have disputed that there was no sign saying that it was a 15 mph zone. Instead, I gave him the requested items (my military ID, driver’s license, registration, and insurance) as well as a pitiful look, and prayed he wouldn’t give me a ticket. He didn’t. (Phew!) We still made it in time to start the 5K. The race itself was fun, and we made a couple new friends afterwards. Sadly, I didn’t go as fast during the race as I did on the drive to the race, or else I would have gotten a t-shirt instead of just a potential ticket and a somewhat entertaining story.

7 comments:

Kristen M. said...

Glad you got to the race on time and that you didn't get a ticket. I was pulled over this past spring. It was my first time and I did not get a ticket either but still no fun!

Anonymous said...

Base police can be a pain. My wife got a ticket for parking the wrong direction in a commissary parking lot slot...

Sherry said...

There is something in the air with the police in general...I was pulled over in the spring too and wasn't "speeding" but the officer felt it was necessary since he mentally clocked me at over - no radar, just his incredibly accurate scientific brain that could process speeds...no ticket for me either. Glad you made it to the race, even if you didn't race at "the speed of car"!!

Britni said...

Hmm maybe I need to speed near a military base so I don't get a ticket next time. Nice job on the 5k :)

New Girl on Post said...

Wow! I run a mile and I'm getting winded. Sounds like you are doing an awesome job with this running. I'm envious of people who can run long distances. :)

Manohar said...

Hi Tootie,

Nice to see your comment on my page. Thanks!!

So you have narrowly missed a ticket this time. Nice to read about your 5K run but tough luck for not winning at least a T-shirt.

Keep smiling !

Manohar.

Angela said...

Great job with the 5k, and not getting a ticket! I need the determination you have to get myself running regularly again.