Thursday, June 12, 2008

Paper, plastic, or hassle?

This week I decided to start bringing my own reusable bag to the store. I’d like to tell you that it’s because I’ve become very environmentally conscious. But really, I’m just tired of those white plastic bags overtaking our pantry. Then the plastic bags block my view of the food in the pantry, so I go shopping and bring home more food…and more bags. (I think you see the dilemma here.) So off I went to the store with my red bag. I was feeling proud because I remembered not only to bring it in the car, but then remembered to bring it into the store, too. Then I stand in line with my ten items. I smiled and said to the cashier, “Hi, I’d like to use this bag for my items, please.” The lady smiled back without saying anything and took the bag. As she started to bag the groceries, she fumbled with the items and began mumbling to herself, “hmm…maybe I should put the cereal box in first. No wait, this should go in first instead.” She was struggling with the bag, and the number of people standing in line behind me was mounting. Finally she sighed and said, “I’m not sure whose idea it was to start bringing in their own bags.” Me, neither. But, I’d like to ask that person how they handle the dialogue with confused cashiers. So what’s a girl to do? Bring home an endless supply of plastic bags? Bring a reusable bag to the store and hope it doesn’t fluster the cashier? Swear off grocery stores altogether and go on a diet of leaves like our neighborhood deer??

9 comments:

Bon said...

I bought my own bags from Publix because I'm usually shopping at Publix. Since they sell them the baggers appear to know how to use them. (IF that is, I remember to take them in--I'm getting better 9x out of 10) Next time tell the lady to just put things in in the order she would in a paper bag or the same as in a stupid plastic bag. Sheesh it isn't like rocket science.

LOL wait, that sounded cranky. I'm not, just still sick.

Leslie said...

You can bring the bag and let the cashier worry about how to bag the groceries. That's her job, after all.

Or you can recycle the plastic bags.

Kimberly said...

I need to get a reusable bag as my apartment is also overtaken by the plastic ones!

Chris said...

keep bringing your bags! I really love these big sturdy bags the grocery stores are coming out with. I can see where the baggers are befuddled, though. These bags hold 10x more groceries than the plastic ones do... previously they could only bag 4 items before the bags split wide, sending apples and pears flying into orbit.

I've sent an invite to my blog if you're interested. I found yours on a pleasant accident. cheers!

danielle said...

Hey, found you through mel's blog and i just wanted to say that the USA is pretty much the only country I've found where someone ELSE bags your groceries. In Europe and in South korea (my current residence) we just carry our bags and throw the stuff in ourselves. You could always just give that bagger a great big smile and say, "It doesn't matter to me how you put it in there as long as the bread's on top!"

Anonymous said...

We use reusable bags and have no problems, but you have to bag your own groceries in Europe. I really think that you just got an impatient cashier.

They're lucky that I wasn't there, because I would've gone to the manager. Grocery employees should encourage reusable bags. Not only does it keep all those bags from crowding us out of our house, and it helps the environement, but it also saves the store money since they can buy less plastic and paper bags.

Unknown said...

I am so freakish about how my groceries are bagged that I usually ask to do it myself. It makes it so much easier for me when I get home and have to put the groceries away. Plus it really freaks me out if they put the meats and my veggies in the same bag. Yes, I know, I'm weird but I'm okay with it. haha.

Keep your bags and let the crazy cashier figure it out! Good for you going green!

Angela said...

I love the idea of reusable bags... but I can never remember to bring in my purse (!), so I don't think I would remember the reusable bag? One other idea is to get a puppy! I now have a great way to get rid of all those plastic grocery bags... I take one with me when the puppies go outside to, well, you know.... =)

Britni said...

Haha this is pretty funny. I use the plastic bags for lunch bags for my husband every morning (he likes two- one for breakfast and one for lunch)so we run out quickly. I always forget to bring my bag on purpose so they'll give me more plastic. Not so green of me.