Friday, June 27, 2008

Marathon Training! Week 5

Today I ran 9 miles! It’s my longest run ever. (I guess every long run from now on, including the marathon itself, will be my longest run ever. It sounds very dramatic, yet it’s true.) I was so jazzed that I ran the 9 miles (especially after a few small doubts last night) that I e-mailed my mom about it this morning. It went something like this… “I ran 9 MILES! That’s OVER AN HOUR AND A HALF of running!” I’m sure she would agree that accomplishing a 9-mile run calls for the use of all caps. After all, we both still remember when I decided to join the military how the thought of the 2-mile run brought me to tears. My running experiences at that point consisted of: 1) tripping and nearly falling off a treadmill in a crowded base gym, 2) throwing up after a run at the track in front of a group of people I had just met, and 3) throwing up before a timed run out of sheer nerves. I try to remember these experiences sometimes. Not because I enjoy recalling my most embarrassing moments, but because it reminds me that I’ve come a long way. And it reminds me that anything is possible. Even training for a marathon. For a once-hopeless non-runner like me. So I’m taking this hope and running - literally.

7 comments:

GypsiAdventure said...

Yay for you and your LONG run! Isn't that exciting?? All you have to do now is remember, "I did nine...one more won't kill me."

Don't think you'll be able to really call yourself a non-runner for much longer...way to go!!
~K

New Girl on Post said...

Wow! 9 miles! I'm very impressed by that. Seriously!

Ann M. said...

That is so awesome! Congrats :)

Anonymous said...

Great job! I'm really enjoying the training--it's so empowering to keep pushing a little further every week!

Anonymous said...

Great job! My husband (who ran one in March) told me stories of always being last in high school cross country matches and thinking 5k was so far. It's wonderful to realize dreams like this!

Annie said...

You totally give me hope that some day, I too will run 9 miles. Some day! I will!

Jen said...

Nine miles?! That is very impressive! Congrats!!!