Thursday, June 5, 2008

I (still) scream for ice cream

I think I’ve figured out that there’s no age limit on having your heart (or stomach?) leap when you hear the sound of the ice cream truck. I always thought that my excitement for the ice cream truck would fade as I got older, but it never did. (And never mind that I always have a large supply of my own ice cream in the freezer, but somehow it just tastes better from the ice cream truck.) Once when I was in the military, I was working the night shift with my only chance for sleep during the day. I heard the truck’s distinct sound, which instantly woke me up from my daytime slumber. I sat up in bed, thinking: “Run! Catch that truck! Get that ice cream!” Then I sadly realized that I was probably too old to run after the ice cream truck, and more importantly, I needed to get some sleep for work more than I needed to get ice cream. Earlier this week Husband and I were outside assessing our dying lawn (yes, it appears to be dying again), when I heard its unmistakable melody. I had to restrain myself from starting off in a full sprint towards the noise. Unfortunately, we couldn’t find the truck. Fortunately, Husband took me out for ice cream later that night. The moral of the story is that ice cream is always good, although its taste somehow drastically improves after you’d had the thrill of running after an ice cream truck. Or maybe the moral of the story is that some things are too good to let go, no matter how old you are.

7 comments:

Kristen M. said...

When I hear the ice cream truck on the street I quick take my kids inside and hope they didn't hear. I never have any cash and I don't want to listen to them whine! They are too clever now that they are getting older. Not to say that I can't resist getting nostalgic too when I hear the truck pass the house. And maybe running after the truck burns enough calories to indulge in a treat!

Britni said...

Ooh now all I want is ice cream. Not fair. I may have to stop at Wendy's after work to get a Frosty. That's almost like ice cream right?

Ann M. said...

There are three ice cream trucks that come by here in the summertime. Little kids live directly across the street, so the trucks flat out STOP in front of our apartment to try and lure the kiddies out.

And my husband has totally run out there and bought ice cream, too. This year, I might be sending him out there a bit more...

Unknown said...

yum... ice-cream! and it is so good at this time of year, too!

New Girl on Post said...

You know...I don't think I've ever bought something from the ice-cream truck. As a child I grew up way out in the country and our house was nowhere near his route.

Guess I'm missing out.

Angela said...

I too grew up out in the country (I only moved a pasture over to build our home now) so I never had the pleasure of hearing the ice cream truck - or having ice cream from one...

We do make our own, which is a great summer treat - strawberry is my favorite!

Sherry said...

The sounds of our childhood that still bring those fond memories -- and we revert to being kids again. Never lose that!! It's too precious!!!