Friday, June 6, 2008

Marathon Training! Week 2

Forgive the exclamation point in the title. It’s because I’m still suffering from a bit of disbelief (and a lot of excitement) that I’m actually training for a marathon. This second week of training went surprisingly well. In fact, I actually feel a little more hopeful about the coming months. But, there’s one strange thing I’ve noticed this week. Some other girl has taken over my body, and she’s doing things I’ve never done. 1) She sets her alarm for a ridiculously early time, and then she actually gets up at that time…and runs! 2) Somehow she doesn’t complain (yet) about either thing in #1. 3) She’s made a full conversion to running, as if it was a new-found church, proclaiming its virtues to other would-be runners and asking them to join her on Sunday for runs. 4) She gets up early! To run! (Ok, I realize that was covered in #1, but I just had to emphasize that again.) 5) She includes casual remarks like “it was only a 4-mile run” in her everyday conversation. Ok, I’m done talking about myself in the third person. But, I was thinking about this running thing today (not surprisingly, while I was running), and I was struck by how much more I’ve done already than I ever thought I could. So, I thought (in a good way) – who is this girl?? Don’t worry, though. This new girl still eats her fair share of dark chocolate M&Ms and still worries about her Master’s exams. Proof that everything is still right in the world.

8 comments:

Angela said...

That is terrific - Here is to more continued success with the training!

Anonymous said...

Great job! I hope it continues to go well. Everyone I've known who has done a marathon feels so great about the changes in themselves!

Anonymous said...

dark choc m&m's?!?! i didn't know there was such a creation! why have these not made it either to my attention or australia?! sounds heavenly to me...

The Mrs. said...

wow. im impressed. i need some of your motivation!

Britni said...

Awesome. I need to find my other girl.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I'm feeling the same thing--I just started Week 5 of my training plan today, and I'm so fired up. I've been waking up at 5:00am--that's 5:00 IN THE MORNING!!!--every day to run, and LIKING it. Training does wonderful and mysterious things to a girl...

everything pink! said...

it is amazing - i can't seem to find the running spirit right now , but i love it when i find it good for you!!

wendy said...

You are so cool! I can't wait to read more about your training!