Thursday, June 19, 2008

Marathon Training! Week 4

The title of this post could also be “longer running times than my favorite TV shows,” “spending more time running than cleaning,” or “using running as an excuse to talk about sea turtles and Hawaii.” (You’ll see…) I’m now measuring my long runs in hours, not minutes. It started last week when I passed the hour mark, running my longest run at that point: 6 miles. This week my long run was over an hour. (Actually, 1 hour and 17 minutes, but who’s counting?) It was a tad over 7 miles, and my longest run to date. So, some days I’m putting more miles on my legs than on my car! I’d take myself in for an oil change, but I’m scared to know what that might involve. Regardless, as my mileage is increasing, so is my confidence. I tell myself each week that I have to run only a few more minutes than last week, which is true. And by pushing myself, slowly and steadily, I will somehow finish the race, just like the turtle in the old tale. Speaking of turtles, below is a video of a sea turtle that we saw on the beach in Hawaii. Yes, this might be a shameless excuse to talk about something Hawaii-related, but I’m posting it now because I’m not sure when the subject of turtles will come up on my blog again. (Probably not anytime soon, unless turtles suddenly started eating our landscaping.)

Oh, and though the video doesn’t show it, the turtle eventually made it back to the water. My little camera didn’t have enough memory to film the whole thing. I guess the lesson for all of us is that we, too, can slowly make it towards our goals. The other lesson for me, specifically, is that I should buy a larger memory card before going back to Hawaii.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I'm really enjoying my marathon training--I just hit the 6-mile mark myself for my long runs. It's going great! Keep on keeping on...

Ann M. said...

That is so awesome! I could never imagine running for over an hour!

Keep up the good work :)

Britni said...

I'm so impressed. I signed up for a 10K today that's at the end of the July and hope I can make it. You're right about the whole, just gotta run a little longer than last week. My problem is getting out to run in the first place so I tell myself, I just gotta get to the gym.

Angela said...

That is awesome!!! Love the turtle too...

Anonymous said...

Way to go! You're really racking up the miles.

I'm glad you told us that the turtle made it okay, because I seriously would've thought about it and probably been worried! :-)

K.C. said...

Ohmylanta! If I do get to running, I promise you I will measuring my into the seconds, much less the hours...

Mine will be I ran 4 minutes, 3.6 seconds.. Is anyone counting? I am.. are you listening out there..?? He he..

That is awesome! Kayce

Manohar said...

Hi,
Nice video!
All the best for your marathon run!!
Cheers;
Manohar.

GypsiAdventure said...

Congrats for continuing on your runs...it can be hard adding on the minutes, but each little bit is something to celebrate!

Have a wonderful day!
~K

Cheri said...

That's terrific - I am truly impressed.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving the encouraging words (but be prepared, there will be few posts about me running!)

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Thanks for stopping by our blog! And CONGRATS on your 6 mile run. That is an awesome milestone and just wait until you get to 10 miles - the feeling is 10 fold.

I hope you can join the Lounge (www.runnerslounge.com) - it would be nice to get some of your advice/tips you learn along the way.

Amy

wendy said...

You are awesome!

Just keep swimming...

Annie said...

My goal is to run a 5K in Oct. 09. Currently, I am still trying to lose the lard that has attached itself to various parts of my body. Fastest and furthest today: 2.5 miles in 38 min.

Put one foot in front of the other...