Monday, March 28, 2011

Welcome, Neighbors

Even after 3 years of living here, I still feel grateful every time I think of the sweet woman that welcomed us into the neighborhood with a plate of freshly-baked cookies. It left such an impression on me that I decided I would do the same for any new neighbors.
A couple moved into the house a few doors down from us recently, and I made them brownies this weekend. I always attach a note that says “Welcome to the neighborhood!” with our name and phone number. (I figure that might help them, if their memory is as poor as mine, so they don’t have to ask themselves afterwards, “Now what was her name again?”)
The husband, who answered the door, seemed very appreciative. His wife wasn’t there when I stopped by.
Not long after I dropped off the brownies, our doorbell rang. It was the husband with his wife, who said, “I just had to meet my new best friend who brought me brownies!” This fellow brownie-lover seems like a girl after my own heart.
We already made plans with them to get together one weekend.
This all confirms what I already knew – any reason to make brownies is a good reason.

5 comments:

nanny said...

that was so sweet of you....we get too busy in this life....it's great of you to make them feel good in their new home!

Tasha said...

You are so kind! That is such a thoughtful gesture for your new neighbors! One of our neighbors brought us brownies when we moved in and it was so nice and unexpected!

Jessica said...

Brownies make anyone feel loved!! I have a slight obesssion with brownies myself.

So sweet of you to welcome your new neighbors.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That sounds really promising! Those brownies did the trick!

d.a.r. said...

How sweet!! And what a great way to make a new friend!