Thursday, March 3, 2011

Early St. Patrick's Day Recipe

Here’s what I want to tell you: I planned to post this recipe for a green drink in March because it would be perfect for St. Patrick’s Day. Here’s the truth: I’ve been meaning to write about this recipe for weeks now, and the end of my procrastination happened to coincide with the month of March. This drink is made with spinach, and it’s called the Green Monster. {The recipe is here.}

If you can’t access the link, it is:

2 cups spinach 1 to 1.25 cups milk 1 banana Ice {I added in a few blueberries, too, which added a nice flavor.}

Throw it in the blender. Serve and enjoy.

I’ve had this recipe bookmarked for months, but I just got around to trying it a few weeks ago. We had a bunch of spinach that was starting to wilt, and I happened to have a banana on hand, too. I didn’t have high expectations because, let’s face it, if I’m making a drink in the blender, it better have ice cream or chocolate in it. Still, it turned out to be pretty tasty. It tastes mostly like banana.

Husband reluctantly tried it (his face was priceless when I told him it had spinach in it), and he actually liked it, too. Except he likes to call it the Swamp Monster.

I’ve made it a few more times since then for a quick breakfast.

Still, I think the St. Patrick’s Day drink that still has my heart will always be the sweet Shamrock Shake, featured sometimes at McDonald’s. Here's a similar recipe for it, if your McDonald’s doesn’t carry it.

Healthy or sweet – cheers to (early) St. Patrick’s Day!

3 comments:

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Hmmmm, spinach huh? May have to slip that into the next smoothie and see how it goes over here. I love and icy/fruity smoothie!

nanny said...

I've been having protein shakes for breakfast.....I have spinach that's about to expire....maybe I'll try it in the morning...gotta get prepared for this one/ha

Mary Bergfeld said...

Tootie, this sounds interesting and I'm guessing that banana is the predominant flavor. I'm fairly new to your blog and I don't often comment. I just wanted you to know that I enjoy my visits here. I hope you have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary