Thursday, March 24, 2011

Shirley Temple Cupcakes

I have been on a cupcake kick recently. I saw this recipe for Shirley Temple cupcakes, and I instantly knew I had to make them. I could not believe that there was a cupcake to match my favorite cocktail.
(I do still order Shirley Temple drinks occasionally, and I pretend that I’m not embarrassed to order the drink that I loved as a 12-year-old.)
Anyway, the recipe is from the cupcake project blog. If you can’t access the link, the recipe is:
Shirley Temple Cupcakes
2 C flour 1 ½ tsp baking powder ½ tsp baking soda ¾ C unsalted butter, room temperature 2/3 C sugar 2 eggs 2/3 C milk 1 ½ C grenadine
1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside. 2. In another medium-sized bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. 3. Beat eggs, milk, and grenadine into the butter/sugar mixture until blended. 4. Fold in flour mixture. 5. Fill cupcake liners all the way to the top. 6. Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the cupcake clean.
The secret ingredient (or I suppose it’s not-so-secret, since it’s on the internet) is grenadine, which is the red syrup used for drink cocktails. I actually found it at Wal-Mart in the section next to the Margarita mixes. I cheated and used store-bought frosting for the icing and topped with a maraschino cherry.

The cupcakes came out great! They have such a tasty and unique flavor. I will definitely make these again. Next time, I plan to chop up some maraschino cherries and add them to the batter to give the cupcake itself a little texture. Otherwise, the recipe is perfect as is.

The recipe says it makes 12 cupcakes, but it made about 18 for me.

Oh, and this probably goes without saying, but it’s best not to wear a white shirt while making these. I, um, had a little grenadine splatter when I put the mixer in the batter. Let’s just say I’m glad it was a ratty old t-shirt.

Either way, it was well worth it. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Sespi said...

Ooh, these look tasty! I'm going to have to try these! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)