Thursday, September 2, 2010

Review: The Book Thief

I just finished the book, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, last night. It was so haunting and tragic, yet I couldn’t stop reading it and I really loved it. The book is about a young girl growing up in Germany during WWII. In some ways, she reminded me a little of Anne Frank, although instead of being a Jewish girl who is in hiding, she is a German girl whose family is hiding a Jewish man. The book contrasts some incredibly tragic circumstances with moments of kindness. I knew when I first started reading it that my dad would enjoy this book. Luckily, I’m taking a trip this weekend to see family, and I’ll be able to give it to him in person. [A note to military readers: You can actually get this book for free (and yes, to keep) through Military One Source.] Next up: I’m planning to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

In fact, I have my copy ready to read on the plane. I’m normally not interested in mysteries, but I’ve heard so much about this book that I’m willing to give it a shot.

What are you reading?

7 comments:

CLR said...

I love love LOVED the Book Thief. I got it from Military One Source as well. At first I wasn't sure what to make of it, but then I really got into it and finished it in 3 days. Definitely a good one!

Kathi said...

I just finished a book called Flabbergasted by Ray Blackmon. He is from the city that I work in, and his book is based on that town. It was pretty cool to know exactly where he was talking about in the book. :)
I just started The Tenth Circle last night but I fell asleep before the first chapter was over! :)

lola said...

It took me a bit to get into the girl w/ the dragon tattoo, but it was definitely fascinating! I just received book #2 in the mail today and I can't wait to get started!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I'm currently reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I'm having a really hard time with it. I'm stuck on page 50. So far I'm just finding it boring.

New Girl on Post said...

I love books about WWII so I'm sure I'd love it. Thanks for the review. I want to hear your review on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I've been putting off reading it, but I'd love to hear what you have to say.

nanny said...

I have to get that one! Sounds very good! Have you read any of Pam Jenoff's? They are similar, you'd like them I think!
I loved Dragon Tatto....don't let it get you bogged down in the beginning, hang in there!
I'm reading The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand...enjoying it.

Mrs. F said...

LOVED this book. First book I've ever cried while reading. I think we often forget about the German side of WWII and this book does a wonderful job telling this story. My ex-boyfriend's mother grew up in Munich during WWII and her stories were amazing and tragic.