Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Nameless Neighbor

I’ve slowly gotten to know the new neighbors next door. I first met them after they just arrived when I brought them some cookies. I made sure I left a note with our name and phone number so they could call if they had any questions. The lady called this weekend and left a message about a question she had, and when I called her back, we had a nice chat. She seems like a sweet lady. I found out that she is also a military wife, so we laughed about the mishaps of moving. We even decided that we’ll have to get lunch sometime. There’s only one problem. I have no idea what her name is. I know what her last name is from the caller ID, but it shows only her husband’s first name. Husband and I have even replayed her phone message, straining to hear what her name is, but the message is a little garbled and we’re still not sure. It’s silly because I know most people would just tell me to ask her politely, “What was your name again?” But, for some reason, I just feel bad and I can’t. Husband’s strategy is hoping that he runs into her outside and he can ask her, since he hasn’t officially met her yet. I’m pretty sure I’ll find out the name soon enough. Until then, she’ll be the nice lady next door, and I’ll be the clueless girl frantically trying to figure it out.

7 comments:

Sespi said...

triniI feel the same way about asking someone for their name when I know they've told me before. Your husband's plan is the my backup plan as well. Hope it works out for you! (If it doesn't, maybe you could try to find her on Facebook?)

Allison said...

I had this same problem. Luckily the mail carrier gave us a peice of their mail on accident so I was able to find out their name. Of course, that was after living next door to them for 6 months... but I couldn't ASK!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Oh I hate when that happens. Hopefully, your husband can find it out so you won't have to ask!

Kathi said...

Thats too funny....I would be the same way...:)

nanny said...

You are a sweet neighbor!
I'm sure she will understand if you have to ask her name..

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one. My neighbor moved in 2 years ago and up to now I still don't know her first name, but I do know her last name. Have a great weekend sweetie. =)

Jen's Farmily said...

I cannot tell you how many times something like that has happened to me! I forget names so easily and sometimes it just takes a day for me to forget it. Then the next day I have to play it off or ask someone.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that she re-introduces herself!