Monday, June 21, 2010

No, really, it's a small world

I know I’ve said that it’s a small world before, but I think it may be getting even smaller. By sheer coincidence, I recently ran into a friend of my cousin’s who just got stationed here a couple weeks ago. I had heard a lot about him, but this was my first time meeting him.
We met, of all places, at the commissary. I had the advantage, since his (last) name was clearly displayed on his military uniform.
Oh, and if you ever want to freak someone out, ask that person a variety of questions, which show that you know personal information about him, without first telling him how you know that information.
I said, “Wait, is your first name, [first name]?”
“Yes.”
“Are you from [state]?”
“Uh, yes…”
“Do you know [my cousin’s name]?”
“Yes…” (By this time, he's looking at me in disbelief like I'm either psychic or nuts. It was hard to tell.)
Finally, I revealed that I was his friend’s cousin, and he seemed excited to see a familiar face, or at least in this case, a face that at least slightly resembles my cousin’s.
We chatted for a while, and it was nice to finally meet him. We exchanged contact information, and Husband and I are going to invite him over for dinner.
My cousin has another friend that will be stationed here soon. I’ll be sure to add “look for cousin’s friend” to my commissary list.

2 comments:

Solar Powered said...

I love "small world" moments. It makes living in the city a little more bearable.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

It's crazy where you can go and end up running into someone you know.