Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Birthday Gift

My dad celebrated a milestone birthday this year. In honor of it, my mom and I decided to e-mail family and friends, offering to include any of their words of wisdom, stories, or wishes in a book to surprise him. We told everyone to e-mail or mail them to me, so there’d be no chance he’d see the letters before his birthday. I thought it would be a gift just for him, but it turned out to be a gift for me, too. It was so enjoyable and inspiring to read such kind words about my dad as each e-mail and card came in. People from all stages of his life – from as early as childhood to his military days to retirement – took the time to write. It was just like “This Is Your Life.” In total, well over 50 people wrote in! They all had a variety of stories and memories to share, but the one common theme is my dad’s integrity, humor, and kindness. I got teary up when I read some of them, and it made me even more grateful to have such a wonderful man as my father! My dad was so shocked and humbled when we presented him the book of letters and cards. And though I don’t want to speak for him, I think it probably rates as one of the best gifts he’s ever gotten. I got so many comments from people that they loved the idea and were excited to have the opportunity to participate. So, it was a great gift for all involved. I highly recommend if you’re looking to give something unique and meaningful. At the very least, it sure beats a new pair of socks.

8 comments:

nanny said...

That is so sweet and what a wonderful treasure to keep forever!!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Aw, that sounds like such a great gift.

Allison said...

Brilliant. That is a great idea.

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet! We did a similar gift for my parents on their 25th wedding anniversary!

Mira said...

what a great idea! Know what - I am going to do this for my husband this year!

Amanda @ It's Blogworthy said...

Thoughtful gifts like that mean so much more than anything you can buy. Happy Birthday do your dad!

Angie said...

That is a fabulous idea!! I need to do this for my Pops!

Jackie said...

Love that idea!