Thursday, July 9, 2009

All the Tea in China

It all started with an innocent comment.
I told my grandma how much I liked the ginger tea (hot tea) that we had at her house a couple months ago, and I mentioned that I couldn’t find it at any stores near me.
When she visited me a few weeks later, she brought me 4 boxes of ginger tea. Then, my aunt, who loves ginger tea, heard and mailed me 2 boxes of her favorite brand.
And then, my grandma, who was still not convinced I had sufficient supply, sent me a care package full of tea earlier this week. I knew what was in the box before I even opened it because: a) she said, “I’m sending you a ‘tea party!’ ” and b) I could actually smell the tea from outside the box.
This time there was every type of flavor and brand imaginable. I even got one that I never knew existed: “Organic Apricot Ginger Black Tea.” (That’s quite a mouthful!)
I decided I would share some tea with a lady in the neighborhood that I’ve befriended. She is a sweet lady who recently lost her husband, and I visit her every so often.
Yesterday I stopped by her house, and I gave her 2 boxes of tea.
The tea had not even left my hands before she darted to her pantry saying over her shoulder, “Honey, you like tea? I have some for you!”
And she gave me 2 boxes of Chinese tea from a friend in China.
Through this, I’ve realized that I not only have an abundant supply of tea, but also an abundance of generous people in my life.
And if you come over to my house, don’t be surprised if I offer you tea. At this point, I think I have enough to host afternoon tea (plus morning, noon, and evening tea) until 2014.

12 comments:

Adrienne said...

That apricot ginger tea sounds wonderful! We just tried mango zinger iced tea and it was delicious... not that you need any more tea!

Crazy Shenanigans said...

Wow, you have a lot a tea!

d.a.r. said...

that is hilarious!! Next time, be careful what you wish for, haha!

nanny said...

How funny!!!!

The New Black said...

That's funny! I've recently become a tea drinker and Tazo chai with a little vanilla creamer is my current favorite.

Amber said...

Oh my gosh, this is hysterical! JD's grandma always gives him toaster streudels to take home when we visit her. When I asked him about it, he said he used to eat them sometimes in college and she found out somehow. Neither of us eat them now so we have months-old boxes just sitting in our freezer. It is kinda sweet though :-)

MissBliss said...

That is so sweet! I posted on my love for Yogi Teas a while back... have you had the tea with the flower that expands in the bottom of your cup? very cool... ;)

this week my hubby and I have both been battling a summer cold, and I found a great ginger tea recipe which is basically boiling and straining fresh ginger... delicious!

Playful Professional said...

That's awesome!! I love tea but not sure I need five years worth.

Leslie said...

I gave my SIL an Alice in Wonderland themed bridal shower last year. I STILL have leftover tea from that, even after giving away a million boxes.

So you can keep your tea, thanks. :)

potandkettle said...

This totally made me smile. It feels good to recognize the abundance, doesn't it?

One request...will you tell grandma I love 20s and searched my wallet to no avail. I'll cover the postage.

Enjoy your tea. *cheers*

Miss. Beach Bound said...

Yum! I love to try new tea, but I'm not sure I would know what to do with all that!
-BB

Rebecca said...

I love tea! My favorite right now is anything from teavana