Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Marathon Training: The End

I always imagined that my marathon experience would end with me triumphantly crossing the finish line. Instead, it ended unceremoniously a few weeks ago when a long run became a very short run because of some knee pain. When I got back from my trip, my knees were feeling quite a bit better. But, I couldn’t, in good conscience, keep going with my long runs and risk permanent damage to my knees. (Because, after having them my whole life, I’ve grown rather fond of them.) So, I quit marathon training before my knees could quit on me. Thankfully, I have a wonderful family that supported me with the crazy idea to train for the marathon in the first place, and they have been equally supportive when I decided to stop. I’m so very lucky. I am a bit bummed about not being able to do the marathon, but I know in my heart that I am making the right decision. And I am still so glad that I did the marathon training, even with knowing how it ended. My goal, in starting it, was to prove to myself that anything is possible, and there’s no way I could deny achieving that! Before I started this, I could barely run 2 miles, yet somehow I made it to 16 miles - twice! Every mile was a victory, and it made me realize that we can do so much more than we think we can. I know that this lesson from marathon training will impact other aspects of my life. Marathon training has proved to me that the challenges or goals in my life that once seemed impossible are actually in reach. I only hope that my experience has inspired someone else along the way to run after their big dream, no matter how difficult or crazy it seems. I can’t wait to dream more big dreams. (My knees just hope that the next ones don’t include them.)

8 comments:

d.a.r. said...

You have definitely been an inspiration to me. No matter what, you still gave it your all. And tried something that is insanely difficult to accomplish. Good for you!

GypsiAdventure said...

Despite how it ended - or ends for anyone else, the marathon training experience is undenyable - so many lessons are learned and so much of what we thought 'couldn't' be accomplished becomes doable in the process. Who knew that something as simple as running more that a mile or two or 10 could have such an impact? I'm sorry you didn't get to finish the way you originally planned, but I'm so happy you found the happy ending to your story!
~K

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you couldn't get to 26.2, but you're smart to listen to your body. And I'm still so amazed at your accomplishment -- way to go!

Ann M. said...

You did a wonderful job in your training, and it is a good idea to listen to what your body is telling you. It wouldn't be worth it to run a marathon just to say you did it and not be able to walk without pain again afterwards.

Great job!

Britni said...

Oh I'm proud of you anyways. You still achieved a great goal! Congrats to you!

Unknown said...

You did good work so view it as a success! You accomplished a lot in your training and you should be proud!

The Mrs. said...

after watching my husband put his body thru hell, good for you for being smart about stopping when you felt like you should.

everything pink! said...

i have tried to find your blog a million times and finally did after you signed up for the 2cleverclub.

i am so proud of you for many things but most of all doing something you didn't think you could do and 2. listening to your body. everyone can learn from that lesson!

WAY to you!!! just think with your 2 16 milers you did two halfs which makes a whole!!!