Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Baking Disaster


Yesterday I was baking an eggnog bread and planning what I would tell you about it. 

I was going to write about how it was a new recipe I found on allrecipes.com. I was going to tell you how I picked the recipe because I had all the ingredients on hand, and I was too lazy to go to the grocery store to pick up anything else. I was going to report how delicious it smelled when it was baking.

That was all until this happened:

I was pulling the bread out a bit early to check it. I lost my grip on the pan, and half of it dumped out on the bottom of the oven. 

I stood there for at least 5 seconds in shock wondering what you do when you’ve half-ruined your dessert and how the heck you even attempt to clean a scalding-hot oven.

The answer, I found, was you continue baking the rest of the dessert and you worry about the mess later when the oven is cooler. (I hope that I will not have to use this knowledge again in the near future!)

The dessert was salvageable, and I even served it to dinner guests. It didn’t look the prettiest, but it was tasty. Truthfully, I’ve never thought of myself as an eggnog fan, but this dessert changed my mind. 

The recipe I used is here. I used almond extract instead of rum extract because I didn’t have any rum extract. And, following the suggestions of the reviewers, I used less flour (2 cups) and more eggnog (1 and ¼ cups). 

If you make this, I hope yours turns out a little more “intact” than mine!

2 comments:

nanny said...

Oh No. I just hate it when I make a mess like that! Did it smoke and stink when you kept on baking the rest?

I hope you have a self cleaning oven!!

My daughter spilled a big bowl of baked beans in her oven and she called cleaning lady, promised to pay her any amount just to clean the oven/ha (hers' wasn't self cleaning)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

At least you were able to salvage some of it and eat it!!