Saturday, February 5, 2011
Homemade Kindle Cover
I have been looking everywhere for a simple cover for my Kindle. It all started when we went out of town, and I was terrified that my Kindle was going to get scratched in my purse. I ended up putting it in a Ziploc bag, which sort of worked, but wasn’t ideal. I’ve looked online and in stores, and the prices for the covers seemed outrageous. I could practically buy a new Kindle for what they are charging. Somehow, for no real good reason, I decided that I could make my own. I’ve been wanting to try to get into sewing anyway, so I figured that this would be a good experiment. I have to preface all of this by saying that I am not crafty at all. In fact, the worst grade I ever got in school was a C in Art Class in 6th grade. (No, I’m not bitter at all, thank you for asking.) So really, I had no good reason to think that I could make anything that resembled a Kindle cover, but I dove right in before I could talk myself out of it. I ended up looking through some drawers and found these pretty placements. I hardly ever use them, but I love the colors. Here is the placement with the (naked!) Kindle: I ended up folding the placement a few times to make the fabric thicker and to give it more support. Then I just used a simple stitch by hand on the side and on the bottom. (And no, I did not take step-by-step pictures because I had no idea that I would actually succeed in making it.) Now, ta-da, here is the final product: The stitching definitely looks amateur-ish, but I finally have my Kindle cover. I might end up putting a decorative button or ribbon on the top, but we’ll see. I think I may have used up my year’s (or decade's) supply of craftiness already.