Sunday, January 4, 2009

The "face" of normal

This past week off was so relaxing, and almost idyllic. The biggest dilemmas we faced were what to eat (mostly soup) and what to watch (usually a goofy comedy, or Mythbusters). Yet, part of me is a little happy for things to get back to normal. And, I’m not going to lie, the thing I’m most excited to have become “normal” again is Husband’s face. It seems like it’s something of a tradition, or maybe even a requirement, for military men to grow facial hair when they have a chunk of time away from work. The prospect of not having to shave is just too thrilling for most military men to take, and they immediately neglect their razors for as long as possible. Husband stopped shaving a week ago. I didn’t protest because I wouldn’t want to interfere with military tradition. (That, and I knew my complaints would be useless against such a strong precedent.) The first day or so he looked almost normal, except with a faint five o’clock shadow. As the days went on, a slight beard started to grow, as did my dislike for his unshaven face. Now, it’s almost looking so outrageous that even Husband started having his doubts about it, especially before church. When we arrived in the church parking lot, he took a quick peek at himself in the car’s rear view mirror, and said, “Now I’m starting to look ridiculous.” (I didn’t disagree.) He joked that fellow churchgoers might pull him aside and beg him, for the sake of all that is holy, to shave. Unfortunately, he’s now at the point of no return. He has only this last day to go, before he has to shave for work tomorrow. We both have accepted (I, more reluctantly, than he) that his dark, scraggly beard will stay for just a little bit longer. But tomorrow, things will return to normal. Then I can finally see Husband’s handsome, clean-shaven face, and I won’t have to wonder who this bearded stranger is in our house.

9 comments:

d.a.r. said...

I abhor that tradition. I hate hate hate facial hair and it drives me insane. Yet, on long weekends, I don't protest it because it is the one small act of "control" that they get :) Glad you get will your normal, clean shaven hubs back tomorrow!

jlc said...

Hhaha I totally agree with you.

I try to tell my husband all the time -- sweetie Asian just cannot DO facial hair.


PS LOVEEE mythbusters. :)

Lindsey said...

Haha same here! I look forward to my husband's clean shaven face again tomorrow when he goes back to work!

Joanne said...

It is nice to have life return to normal after the hectic holidays, get settled back into routines for awhile. I'll be glad to get more writing in! Have a great day tomorrow, you'll be celebrating again!

Anonymous said...

So strange that you posted about this! My husband isn't military, but he started growing his over the Christmas holiday too. I hate it! I keep asking him when he will shave it and he won't give me an answer. I wish his work required him to be clean shaven!

Unknown said...

ahhh yes, my husband does this too!

i'm partial to the no-hair look myself, but what the hey, if he wants to grow out his beard for a long weekend, he can just kiss me on monday :) :).

Annie said...

My girlfriends with military men in their lives always moan and groan about this tradition. For me, if Beloved shaved off his mustache I don't know what I'd do!

Missy said...

My husband had two whole weeks off over Christmas. He has the same theory that your husband does.

It was not pretty.

And it HURTS! Like little razors protruding from his cheeks. Ick.

Bon said...

Yep, I call it the weekend beard. This time when he arrived for Christmas he already HAD it because he had been off two days...I thought that was so unfair. During Exodus he starts looking like a derelict. I swear. Not to mention that whiskers stuff HURTS.

We watched a lot of Mythbusters too! It was a marathon, between that and Dirty Jobs LT Dan was just all in his happy place.